I have tried quite a few different portfolio Apps on iPad to display my photography work and quite frankly I’m not really thrilled or blown away by any of them. While I wait for my buddy Shaun to build the ultimate portfolio App that I’ve always wanted, I continue to use Portfolio for iPad as it has “most” of what I’m looking for and they’ve submitted a Retina Display update that’s currently waiting for approval by Apple.
My must have criteria for a good portfolio App
- Easy to get images in and replace them from time to time! <-this is where most fall appart quickly. Dropbox support is a must, but a direct Lightroom tie would be the ultimate.
- Ability to add branding (your logo)
- Slideshows with music that can be self running or manually swiped
- Ability to assign different songs/playlists to different galleries
- Retina Display ready or coming out with an update very soon
- Multiple galleries and hidden galleries
- Both portrait and landscape support
The above list represents my bare minimum in features that I want/need. Portfolio for iPad has all fo the above, but I wonder if I’m missing something since I haven’t looked at these apps in a while. If you’re asking “well if Portfolio for iPad has these things then why are you looking?” that’s a good question. While Portfolio for iPad has the features I want, I want something that is more easily updated or sync’d. Right now let’s say I have 24 images in my Beauty portfolio. If I want to add a new one and delete an old one, the process is completely manual. I have to check my website or LR to see which one is the oldest and should be deleted from the App and then I have to go find the new one via a Dropbox import. Then I have to manually move it to the front of the group. While this is not the end of the world, I have Lightroom Publishing this Collection to a Dropbox folder. Why can’t Portfolio for iPad just sync to that folder as well, picking up any changes and removing images that are no longer there? It can’t be that hard!!!
Which Portfolio App on IPad do you like BEST and why?